Press "Enter" to skip to content

Prince Harry, Meghan not returning to royal duties – Buckingham Palace

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have informed Queen Elizabeth II they will not return as working members of the British royal family, Buckingham Palace said on Friday.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as they are formally known, rocked the British monarchy when they quit frontline royal duties a year ago.

They have since embarked on a new life involving several commercial ventures in the United States, and now live in California.

Under the initial terms of their departure thrashed out at an emergency summit with the queen in early 2020, Harry had agreed to review the decision a year on.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.

“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” the palace said in a statement.

The palace added that the Royal Family is “saddened” by the decision of Harry and his wife who remain “much-loved members of the family.”

Prince Harry, a former soldier, holds several honorary military titles, as well as Commonwealth appointments and some other patronages.

Meghan was also handed several honorary roles after she wed Harry in a fairytale ceremony at Windsor Castle in May, 2018.

The couple, who are expecting their second child, are poised to give an “intimate” interview about their lives with US chat show host Oprah Winfrey.

NaijaOnPoint.com, TNG reports that Prince Harry and Meghan stepped back from royal duties last year and moved to the United States with their son.

 

Spread the love

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *