Newcastle United are facing up to the stark reality money isn’t everything after the reasons why their ‘approach’ for Antonio Conte will likely fail were revealed, per multiple reports.
After 14 years, Mike Ashley’s tenure as owner of Newcastle United finally came to an end on Thursday. The Saudi-led Public Investment Fund (PIF) purchased an 80 percent stake in the club. The other 20 percent is split evenly between Amanda Staveley and the Reuben brothers.
With Newcastle now the world’s richest club, excitement is at an all-time high in the North East.
Staveley recently clarified what her role will be. In doing so, she also assured those with the club’s best interests at heart that investment in Newcastle will go far beyond just new signings.
But it is player arrivals and potentially a new manager that will undoubtedly make the headlines nonetheless.
And per online outlet 90min, the Magpies have made an approach for serial winner Conte.
Conte last managed Inter Milan and guided them to the Serie A title last year. In doing so, he broke Juventus’ nine-year domestic stranglehold on the Italian top flight. But with the club in desperate financial peril and several of their star names being sold off, Conte parted ways.
90min state the Italian has been ‘approached by third parties linked with Newcastle’s new owners’. Steve Bruce is currently at the helm, but a recent report revealed he is well aware the writing is on the wall.
Conte was installed alongside another former Chelsea boss as early frontrunners by the bookies. However, according to the Sun, an official Conte approach will likely be rebuffed.
They claim the 52-year-old’s ‘current position’ is that his next job should be at a club already ‘in a position to win titles’.
Newcastle sit 19th in the table at present and are one of four sides still without a league win. Even with unprecedented financial backing, a tilt at the title will likely be several years away at best.
That notion seemingly doesn’t appeal to Conte. A Sun insider concluded: “I think he has higher expectations about his career.”
Six things the new owners need to do at Newcastle United
Newcastle already in talks with Barcelona attacker
Meanwhile, Newcastle’s new owners are reportedly already in talks with the representatives of Barcelona playmaker Philippe Coutinho ahead of a January transfer, per a report.
Thursday was a historic day for the famous north east club, as Mike Ashley sold Newcastle to the Saudi-led Public Investment Fund (PIF) for £300million.
The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, has been listed as the chair of PIF. His value is reportedly close to £250bn. That, in turn, makes Newcastle the richest club in the world.
Transfer splashes are now inevitable, and according to Spanish outlet Sport, Barca star Coutinho is at the top of their wishlist.
It is claimed that PIF have already approached the playmaker’s representatives over a potential move.
The report adds that the financially troubled Catalan giants are prepared to listen to offers of around £42m for Coutinho.
READ MORE: ‘Very hands on’ – Amanda Staveley clarifies Newcastle role after investment pledge
- eNews4 hours ago
Brother Of Reality TV Star, Maria’s ‘Married’ Lover Fires Back At Cubana Chief Priest
- eNews13 hours ago
‘If You Reply Me, I’ll Beat You’ – Actress Amatosero Threatens Wathoni For Saying Actresses Use Their Bodies In Exchange For Roles
- eNews23 hours ago
BB Naija:Cubana Chief Priest Calls Out Maria For Snatching Her Sister’s Husband, And Threatening Her
- eNews22 hours ago
BBN Angel Reacts After Cubana Chief Priest Exposed Maria For Snatching & Threatening Lover’s Wife
- News6 hours ago
eNaira: CBN Integrates 33 Banks Into Platform, Releases N200m For Programme Take-Off
- eNews5 hours ago
Cubana Chief Priest Exposes The Organisers Of BBNaija For Taking Bribes From Housemates Before They Get Selected
- eNews23 hours ago
You Stole My Sister’s Husband And Threatened Her’- Cubana Chief Priest Calls Out BBNaija Star, Maria
- Hiphop22 hours ago
AV – Confession