MediaTek just announced Dimensity 9300, the company’s latest flagship SoC, as the successor to Dimensity 9200 / 9200+. It uses third-generation TSMC’s 4nm process tech with 2nd gen thermally optimized IC design and package.
CPU and GPU
It uses 1 x ARM Cortex-X4 performance core clocked at 3.25GHz and 3 x performance core clocked ARM Cortex-X4 cores at a slower 2.85GHz. There are 4 X Cortex-A720 efficiency cores clocked at 2.0GHz.
This promises 15% increase in single-core CPU performance and 40% improved multi-core performance compared to Dimesntiy 9200. The CPU peak performance power consumption is reduced by 33%, compared to the predecessor, says the company.
The SoC has a new Immortalis-G720 GPU, which promises 46% performance improvement in hardware ray tracing performance compared to the previous generation. It also supports hardware-based ray tracing engine and variable rate rendering technology, which it claims to be 46% more powerful than its predecessor. It also says that the GPU offers 40% reduction in power consumption at the same level of performance as the previous generation chipset.
At the event, MediaTek said that it has partnered with several companies for optimizing ray tracing in games. At present, more than 50 games of various types have joined the Dimensity ray tracking ecosystem, covering the three mainstream engines of Unity, Unreal, and Messiah, providing gamers with immersive visual effects.
In addition, the MediaTek Dimensity platform will also continue to deepen the construction of the developer ecosystem and cooperate in depth with many game manufacturers to build a strong Dimensity game ecosystem.
MediaTek says that APU 790 offers double the AI processing power in integer and floating-point operations performance, while reducing power consumption by 45%.
By adapting the Transformer model for operator acceleration, the processing speed of the APU 790 is 8 times faster than the previous generation, with image generation within one second using Stable Diffusion, says the company.
The APU 790 provides support for NeuroPilot Fusion, which can continuously perform LoRA low-rank adaptation, and is capable of supporting large language models with 1B, 7B, and 13B parameters, with scalability up to 33B.
As part of MediaTek’s rich AI ecosystem, the Dimensity 9300 will support cutting-edge mainstream large language models including Meta Llama 2, Baichuan 2, Baidu AI LLM, and more.
The Dimensity 9300 display system leverages the chipset’s powerful on-device AI capability to detect primary objects and background images in real-time.
Coupled with the MiraVision Picture Quality (PQ) engine, it will dynamically adjust the optimal contrast, sharpness, and color of the primary objects, enhancing the overall image with a sense of depth offering lifelike video experiences, comparable to today’s Flagship DTVs, says MediaTek.
Display and ISP
The Dimensity 9300 supports always-on HDR up to 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps). The chipset also supports 4K at 30 fps cinematic mode with real-time bokeh tracking for professional quality bokeh enhancements, as well as 4K AI Noise Reduction (AI-NR) and AI processing on RAW photos and videos.
The Imagiq 990 offers new bidirectional direct coupling between ISP and APU for zero latency video preview. The 18-bit RAW ISP design features AI Semantic Analysis Video Engine with 16 categories of scene segmentation adjustment for more visually enhanced cinematic video capture.
Additionally, the Dimensity 9300 will support the new Ultra HDR format in Android 14 for the next generation of smartphones. It supports ambient light adaptive HDR recovery technology.
The Dimensity 9300 supports Wi-Fi 7 and integrates MediaTek Xtra Range Technology for better long-range connectivity. With MediaTek’s Multi-Link Hotspot technology, Dimensity 9300 also improves smartphone tethering speeds by up to 3X compared to competitive solutions, says the company.
MediaTek Dimensity 9300 specifications
- 1 x ARM Cortex-X4 cores up to 3.25GHz + 3 x ARM Cortex-X4 cores up to 2.85GHz + 4 x Cortex-A720 cores at up to 2.0GHz
- 18MB L3 + SLC cache: 29% larger than previous generation
- Arm Immortalis-G720 MC12 GPU, 2X MSAA support, 2X Pixel blend throughput, 2X Texture throughput
- MediaTek APU 790 (Generative AI), Up to 33 billion parameters, Exclusive hardware-accelerated memory compression technology, First to support on-device LoRA Fusion
- TSMC’s third generation 4nm process
- WQHD at 180Hz and 4K up to 120Hz
- Up to 320MP camera, Imagiq 990
- Secure Processor, HWRoT, Arm Memory Tagging Extension (MTE) Technology, CC EAL4+ Capable, FIPS 140-3, China DRM
- Sub-6GHz (FR1), mmWave (FR2), 2G-5G multi-mode, 5G-CA, 4G-CA, 5G FDD / TDD, 4G FDD / TDD, TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA, EDGE, GSM
- 5G/4G Dual SIM Dual Active, SA & NSA modes; SA Option2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR FR1 TDD+FDD, DSS, FR1 DL 4CC up to 300 MHz 4×4 MIMO, FR2 DL 4CC up to 400MHz, 256QAM FR1 UL 2CC 2×2 MIMO, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, R16 UL Enhancement, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- GPS L1CA+L5+ L1C, BeiDou B1I+ B1C + B2a +B2b, Glonass L1OF, Galileo E1 + E5a +E5b, QZSS L1CA+ L5, NavIC L5
- Wi-Fi 7 (a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be) ready, 2T2R, Bluetooth 5.4
- Supports LPDDR5T 9600Mbps memory up to 9600Mbps,UFS 4 + MCQ
The first smartphones featuring the Dimensity 9300 chipset will be available in the market by the end of 2023. vivo has already confirmed that the X100 which will be introduced on November 13th in China will be the first to use the chip.
Joe Chen, President at MediaTek, said:
The Dimensity 9300 is MediaTek’s most powerful flagship chip yet, bringing a huge boost in raw computing power to flagship smartphones with our groundbreaking All Big Core design. This unique architecture, combined with our upgraded on-chip AI Processing Unit, will usher in a new era of generative AI applications as developers push the limits with edge AI and hybrid AI computing capabilities.