Google has rolled out the Android 14 November 2023 Security Patch to address various issues for eligible Pixel devices running Android 14. This update aims to fix a high-profile storage bug and enhance device security.
Storage Access Bug Fix – Pixel Devices
This update addresses a significant Android 14 storage bug that had been causing problems for some users. This bug sometimes left devices with multiple users enabled showing a lack of space or getting stuck in a reboot loop.
According to arstechnica.com, users with multiple accounts on their devices faced severe storage issues. Some devices became completely unusable, while others had limited access to storage. Additionally, Android’s dual system partitions and backup systems had limitations that couldn’t prevent this problem effectively.
Some users even compared this bug to “ransomware,” where data access is restricted. While a factory reset is a solution, many users preferred not to go that route.
While Google offered a quick-fix patch through Google Play System Updates, it couldn’t prevent users from encountering the bug. The data backup system for apps also proved unreliable. This incident reveals significant flaws in several Android systems that require improvement, the report added.
Google Security Updates November 2023
The fixes are categorized into two security patch levels for easier implementation by device manufacturers.
- The first level, dated November 1, addresses high-severity issues, including vulnerabilities in the framework and system. It also mentions a critical-severity issue affecting older Android versions (11, 12, and 13).
- The second level, dated November 5, addresses issues that are less likely to affect Pixel devices receiving the update. These include kernel vulnerabilities in older Android versions and vulnerabilities in components from MediaTek and Qualcomm.
The November 2023 update for Pixel devices includes:
Display & Graphics
- Fix for issue occasionally causing a green flash when the display is turning off in certain conditionsNFC
- Fix for issue occasionally causing NFC and related services to have instability in certain conditionsSystem
- Fix for issue occasionally causing system instability when apps request an app that is no longer installed
- Fix for issue occasionally causing devices with multiple users enabled to show out of space or be in a reboot loopUser Interface
- Fix for issue occasionally causing desktop icons to disappear after unlocking device
- Fix for issue occasionally causing the wallpaper to be misaligned for devices with a notch or hole punch camera
- Fix for issue occasionally causing screen jerkiness when touch registration becomes imprecise
The update will be rolled out over-the-air in phases throughout the week.
- Supported devices include Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5, Pixel 5a (5G), Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, Pixel 6a, Pixel 7, Pixel 7 Pro, Pixel 7a, Pixel Tablet, Pixel Fold, Pixel 8, and Pixel 8 Pro.
- The Pixel 4a (5G) is expected to receive its last monthly security and Android version update as it reaches the end of life this month.
Source 1, 2