After passing through series of test since December 2020, dark mode is finally rolling out for desktop web browsers.
Google posted in its forum that “I’m thrilled to announce that starting today & fully rolling out over the next few weeks, Dark theme is now available for Google Search pages on desktop.”
The dark theme will be available for the Google homepage, search results pages, and the Search settings will have a dark grey background and light text instead of the typical setup where the background is light or white, and the text is dark.
How it Works
- From the Google Search homepage, select “Settings” at the bottom right.
- Alternatively, click the gear icon (Settings) at the top right of a results page.
- Select “Search settings” from the list that pops up.
- In the tabs on the left, choose “Appearance”.
- You will then be able to choose from three settings for your color scheme:
- Device default: Automatically match the color scheme of your current device.
- Dark: Light text on a dark background.
- Light: Dark text on a light background.
- Select “Save” at the bottom once you have chosen.
Note: the feature is rolling out over the next few weeks, so it might not be available immediately on your device.